Friday 21 September 2012

The Aunts and Cousins

Yay back on line!!!! Lot of catching up to do so I'm starting with an update on recent work.




I've based these on pictures of people in a 1937 magazines, from photographs, adverts or fashion pictures. They were first drawn onto calico. Under the calico are the designer satin labels that I used when I had my Knitwear Business. These had Joan Rowland or Coggeshall Knitwear on them and were beige/brown or white /blue. Under these two layers is a curtain fabric, rather heavy one for stability, you can't see this fabric.

I have then used the sewing machine to stitch and embellish, with some lace used for hair, collars, hat and cuffs. They were then mounted on modern papers from a Laura Ashley set. When I framed them I put lace at the base and another strip of paper. It looks like they are looking out of a window with a cafe curtain. They are about 8 x 12, have a double mount of white/black and are in modern black frames.

I've sold two of these at the Popup Shop in Chelmsford.

Missed blogging and I'm really looking forward to all your comments.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome Back !!! we have missed you xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back Joan! I'm so glad you're up and running.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Joan! They are really LOVELY.........XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lindy Loo we must meet up soon, missing your cheery smile and your wee doggie too. Molly sends love and would love you to come over soon. x J

      Delete

Your comments are all read and appreciated. Hope you will forgive me if I miss commenting on your comment, I will be busy doing art :-) x Joan